PostgreSQL is an advanced open source database that is completely community driven. Continuous development and performance improvements while maintaining a secondary focus on Oracle compatibility gave PostgreSQL a great market penetration.
When a database server is deployed in production we often wish to achieve several 9’s of availability. Is that even possible with PostgreSQL ? What is the combination of tools that you could combine and implement to achieve High Availability (HA) and automatic failover in PostgreSQL ? How can we avoid data loss during such failovers ? We’ll address these questions and then some more in this talk.
In this talk, we are going to discuss:
- How the implementation of HA differs for each type of replication available in PostgreSQL
- How to combine HAproxy with etcd plus a detailed explanation of the RAFT Algorithm and HA using Patroni
- How to combine repmgr with keepalived to achieve HA
- What are the tools and solutions that help you achieve automatic failover in AWS and other cloud-based environments
- How to avoid huge data loss during failovers